Activities of Global Groundwater Monitoring Group and the GGMN related activities
The main activities to date:
- Paris, March 2006: Founding meeting of the IGWCO/GARS/UNESCO Groundwater Working Group
- Washington DC, March 2007: Launching a Global Groundwater Monitoring Network initiative (IGRAC) and a decision of the Groundwater Working Group to organize a workshop in Utrecht
- Utrecht, October 2007: Workshop on Global Monitoring of Groundwater Resources.
- Presentations [at the conference on Groundwater and Climate in Africa (Kampala, June 2008), at the WWF5 in the session on 'data for all' (Istanbul, March 2009), at the IAH/IAHS Joint International Convention (Hyderabad, september 2009)] and a publication of articles.
- 2009: release of updated version of GGMN web-based application
- 2011: Acquiring extra funding for a first regional workshops for GGMN national experts.
- 2011-12: a completion of the GGMN application (to be released in April 2012)
- A first regional GGMN workshop for the IGAD region to be held in Nairobi, Kenya on 1-2 June 2012.
- A first regional workshop for the SADC region was held in Lusaka, Zambia 15-16 November 2012.
- Update of the GGMN founding documents (describing purpose, procedure, priorities, deliverables, etc.)
- Completion of endorsement from international organisations
- Preparing and sending requests for cooperation (to establish country/organizationalfocal points)
- Update of the inventory on groundwater related datasets ready to be used in GGMN and implementation of these aggregated data in GGMN
- Strengthening collaboration with remote sensing and global modeling communities
- Strengthening collaboration with complementary initiatives and programmes (GEO, Whymap, WWAP etc...).