The general ISARM objective is to contribute to the multifaceted efforts in global co-operation through providing for the planets needs in sustainable environments, economy, social and political security on internationally shared aquifers.
Specific project objectives
- To establish a network of experts from different disciplines for identification and definition of internationally shared aquifers.
- To promote scientific, legal, socio-economic, institutional and environmental assessment of internationally shared aquifer resources.
- To identify several Case Studies of internationally shared aquifers and support multidiciplinary experts teams to conduct detailed investigations.
- To learn, from Case Studies, the issues relevant to good management of internationally shared aquifers resources.
- To raise the awareness of policy and decision makers of the significant and importance of transboundary aquifer resources, forming a critical component of the world freshwater resources.
- To disseminate the lessons learnt from Case Studies and encourage policy and decision makers to incorporate appropriate internationally shared aquifer management.
- To promote co-operation among experts from the different countries that share transboundary aquifers, through making available scientific tools, water resource management options and methodologies that apply to such aquifers.